Friday, March 28, 2014

Reading

So . . .  it seems that in the last year or so, the hobby of reading has become very popular.

The thing is, it doesn't have to be. Reading isn't meant to be something you have to do to be cool! It's something people enjoy naturally. I like to think they either are born with the enjoyment of learning and eventually reading or they grow into it.

There are some people out there who just have a desire to read, and some who just don't. And that's okay.

I always say, there is no joy like reading. And to me, that's 100% true. There is no feeling like the one when you are curled up in a quiet place with a book (preferably paperback) cradled in your hands.

But, but, that doesn't mean YOU have to find reading enjoyable. Reading doesn't make you smart or cool or any better than anyone else. It can make you wiser, or give you new ideas, but you can find those elsewhere. Readers aren't the only people who can have these qualities!!

Reading is something that some people, like myself, just latch onto.

I have been reading since I was . . . well, learning to read. DUH. Anyway, books like Nancy Drew, American Girl, and Jane Eyre just infatuated me. I began to write myself, and I have ever since.

Reading and writing just comfort me. I can pretty much find any kind of story ever, and that's something you can't find with movies or whatever. I can imagine up characters that become my friends (which is a pretty sad thought, but hey) and read about new ones!

However, some people don't connect with this, AND THAT'S OKAY. YOU ARE NOT DUMB. YOU CAN WATCH ALL THE MOVIES YOU WANT AND READERS WILL NOT JUDGE YOU . . . YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO HAVE EVER READ A BOOK FOR ENJOYMENT EVER AND WE STILL WON'T CARE. NO ONE CARES. DO YOUR THANG BECAUSE GOD MADE YOU SPECIAL. DON'T TRY TO BE LIKE SOMEONE ELSE. Okay finished. . . . sorry.

Just because everyone's in a craze about being a "reader" and being a "fangirl" doesn't mean they are truly those things. Sure, you can start a popular series, finish it, and never pick up another book, then call yourself a "reader", but they are probably not.

Don't be intimidated by readers, we're nice. ;) I am sure there are readers out there who want to be good at other things like makeup or hair or whatever. Everyone always wants something they don't have. Don't be one of those people. Make your own choices. If you don't want to read, don't.

WARNING: To those who do not enjoy reading into the late hours of the night; DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT. Do not say "Reading is my favorite thing to do" just to make yourself look a certain way. If it's not your favorite thing to do, then don't say it is.

I only made this post because I happen to run a blog on instagram about reading and books, and everyone says they're dumb because they don't read, and when they do read, they're super slow. That's fine. You're not a reader THATS OKAY, BRAH.

I don't know how much sense this made, but I hope it resolved something for someone.

Much love xx

- Ellie

P.S. This all goes for the "internet kid" craze as well. :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it sis! I have gone through that feeling several times and it isn't a good feeling. It is nice to know that people do care about you and won't judge you because of it :)