Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Response to the Cinderella Backlash

      Since I was a child, Cinderella was always my favorite princess. I would watch the Disney movie in the early morning hours when my big brother was getting ready for school. I would have all day to dress in my favorite blue Cinderella gown and copy letters and numbers in my pre-k Cinderella workbook.

            The soft spot I have for Cinderella was ignited once again when I first saw the glittering glass slipper previewed on the movie screen. I could not wait for the new remake to come out. My plan was to see the movie on the opening day. Anything else was unfathomable.

            When this backlash started it broke my heart. How could anyone ridicule this movie when it had not even come out yet? I understand that positive body image is very important. I believe that unrealistic body standards should be put to rest. This is an age where we should toss perfect waistlines to the wind and be proud of what we look like. Nothing is more beautiful than being kind and courageous, which brings me to my next point.

            While watching Cinderella I experienced many different emotions. I cried, I laughed, and I dreamed. I felt inspired to be kinder. To be strong and show people love even when I do not get kindness in return. I want to have courage and face very difficult things even when I feel I am broken. This is what I took away from Cinderella. This is what I learned.

            The arguments against this movie are very deep. I understand why they would be brought up. However, if you have a negative mindset, if you do not want to take this movie seriously, then you will not see the good in it. The Prince is not who solved the problems in this movie. Ella is. She dealt with misery with grace for so many years. Her happy ending is not happy because she is made queen. Not because the Prince is her husband. Her marriage symbolizes her reward. Her feat. Her victory. Young Ella may seem like a pushover, but what I believe was meant to be seen is that she is empowering all women. When someone is bullying you, underestimating you, even hating you, you need to look deeper into the problem. What has this person gone through? How can you be the bigger person? This is what Ella was acting on. She saw her stepmother and stepsisters to be blind to see what is right; that is why she felt the need to show them love. How could you show anything to people who cannot fathom the bigger things in life than kindness? How would it benefit the situation to make it worse and reflect their immature mindset?

            This is why Cinderella is powerful. This is why Cinderella shows girls, women, children, all people to show kindness to our enemies. To rise up and have the courage to be a beautiful person who knows how to be peaceful and loving. She fought. She loved. She endured. She forgave. I love this story. I love what it says to the world. I hope many more people will see this fairytale as something to respect and will feel the way I do.
            

No comments: